Statistical Data Engineer/Scientist
Whole Biome is on a mission to help people improve physical and mental health by creating a new category of products that target the microbiome. We are researching, developing and commercializing a novel class of rationally-designed Live SynbioticsTM(probiotics + prebiotics) that have demonstrated clinical efficacy to treat conditions like metabolic syndrome, inflammation and neurodegeneration. Whole Biome has created proprietary pipelines to build a unique discovery platform that identifies key, novel bacterial strains and the prebiotics that feed them.
We are currently is seeking a Statistical Data Engineer/Scientist to join the Compute team. The person will contribute to the Whole Biome mission by working with meaningful data to generate impactful evidence and insights on our products that improve people’s health. The ideal candidate will have experience in successfully developing and deploying cloud-based bioinformatics services and prototyping robust statistical models. This position will interact closely with the R&D teams.
What You’ll Do:
- Prototype, build, and maintain in-house software for high-throughput bioinformatics pipelines and web services
- Prototype robust and scalable models based on statistical modeling in analytics languages (Python, R, C/C++)
- Document, test and release software services in a continuous fashion
Keep developing a comprehensive knowledge of fundamentals of statistical predictive modeling, machine learning, and data mining
- Develop a deep understanding of the data we work with and foster learning and collaboration with colleagues using analytical tools
- PhD (or Master) + > 4 years of experience in a quantitative data science discipline (e.g., statistics, computer science, engineering, biostatistics, biophysics)
- Solid Object Oriented design and implementation skills (e.g., Python)
- Experience in Unix/Linux environments using Bash, Make and related Unix tools
- Familiarity with AWS is a big plus
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial mindset and self-direction, ability to teach others and willingness to learn new techniques
- Desire to work in a cross-functional, collaborative environment that values a balanced life
- Belief in transparency and open communication and the ability to use interpersonal relationships to improve, nurture and enable those around them
- Experience implementing advanced analytics approaches (e.g., longitudinal data analysis), a plus
- Contributor to open source packages, libraries or functions, a plus
- Demonstrated track record of developing and executing patient-level data analyses (e.g., real world data, surveys, clinical trials, registries, claims or genomic), a plus
We are a highly collaborative team of scientists, engineers, physicians, marketers, and salespeople interested in improving human health by using the latest research from diverse fields, such as microbiology, molecular biology, high-throughput genomics, distributed computing, pharmaceutical development and nutrition. We believe strongly in employee transparency and strong communication to enable the most effective and efficient path to team success.
Whole Biome is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We welcome all with disabilities to apply.